“I was in Frankfurt.
What I remember most was a press conference being held by Gunter Schabowski, the GDR’s spokesman.
The representative of the Berlin government passed him a note while he was speaking.
He read it and said: ‘From Midnight or 2am, the gates of the Wall will be open.’
Nobody knew where this announcement had come from.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 5European Commission presidency candidates to go head-to-head in first debate