Steve Hansen has been named the new head coach of World Cup champions New Zealand on a two year deal.
The former All Blacks assistant coach has big shoes to fill in replacing Graham Henry who retired last month.
Under 65-year-old Henry, the Blacks won 88 of 103 tests, five Tri-Nations titles, a series sweep of the 2005 British and Irish Lions, three grand slam tours and a World Cup title.
‘‘I am a passionate New Zealander, passionate about New Zealand rugby and passionate about the All Black jersey and its legacy and I look forward to the next two years and achieving things with this team and enhancing that legacy and taking it forward,’‘ said the 52-year-old.
Taking the legacy forward will involve some tough decision making for Hansen who will have the hard task of rejuvenating an ageing squad of national heroes before defending their world cup title in four years.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1François d’Haene wins Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc
- 2World Judo Championships: Kelmendi and Ebinuma continue world dominance
- 3Sanchez sends Arsenal through to Champions League
- 4Manchester United set for Falcao arrival as Hernandez joins Real Madrid
- 5Champions League: Liverpool to face reigning champions Real Madrid
- 1Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 2Japanese company brings the beach lifestyle to business | euronews, world news
- 3Earth Overshoot Day arrives earlier as we consume too much | euronews, economy
- 4Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 5#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 6NATO: ‘Ready to deploy forces’ in response to all security challenges | euronews, world news
- 7Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 8US warns Russia that Ukraine aid delivery would be ‘viewed as an invasion’ | euronews, world news
- 9Renewing your driving licence within the EU | euronews, u talk
- 10Russian aid convoy is ‘direct invasion’ says Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 11Sephardic Jews eye return to Spain | euronews, reporter
- 12Elephants smell better | euronews, science
- 13At least 6 confirmed dead in Paris apartment blast | euronews, world news
- 14Putin says he could take Kyiv in a fortnight | euronews, world news
- 15Wikimedia says taking a selfie is monkey business | euronews, world news
- 16Hundreds of Ukranian troops retreat across border to Russia | euronews, world news
- 17No candidates are likely to thwart Erdogan, says polling analyst | euronews, news
- 18Spain treats Europe’s first case of Ebola | euronews, world news
- 19Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights | euronews, world news
- 20Voting in Turkey’s Presidential election underway | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 05:15 CET Wozniacki wallops Errani to reach U.S. Open semi-finals
- 04:55 CET Contador leads Tour of Spain after Quintana crash
- 22:44 CET Electric series generates plenty of buzz
- 22:16 CET Russia World Cup not under discussion, says Blatter
- 21:52 CET Manchester City’s Guidetti still hoping for Celtic switch
- 21:22 CET No reheated soup, but plenty of leftovers for Serie A
- 19:03 CET Bautista to lead depleted Spain in Davis Cup playoff
- 17:44 CET Aston Villa sign Cleverley on loan in late deal