Ukrainian opposition parties on Saturday held a rally in central Kiev in support of jailed former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko.
Opponents of President Viktor Yanukovich, who enjoys close ties with Moscow, gathered to unveil a plan of action for October’s parliamentary election.
The vote is being seen as a litmus test for Ukraine’s democracy after criticism by the West that Tymoshenko’s jailing over a gas deal she signed while in office was politically motivated.
The leader of the Front for Change said they wanted to fight for a new country, for a new type of political elite with more responsibility and accountability in government.
“We need to tackle corruption and we believe that Ukraine is to be a big part of Europe. We should ratify and sign association and free trade agreements with the EU,” said Arseniy Yatseniuk.
Our correspondent reports that the opposition has founded this coalition on common principes. they expect it to last well beyond the forthcoming elections.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3Expectations are low as ministers gather for Ukraine crisis talks in Geneva
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 11:20 CET Obama, Abe to battle negative images at U.S.- Japan summit
- 10:39 CET India holds biggest day of voting with Hindu nationalists gaining…
- 10:27 CET Japan makes two more oil payments to Iran – sources
- 10:04 CET Chinese police shoot man dead at checkpoint in Xinjiang
- 07:35 CET Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry accident
- 07:06 CET Reports of e-cigarette injury jump amid rising popularity, …
- 05:20 CET China releases blogger on bail, jails another amid rumour crackdown
- 03:49 CET Dengue outbreak at Australian detention centre sparks fresh…