The French government has struck a deal with the energy industry to cut fuel prices at the pump by six cents a litre.
The agreement will last for three months and means drivers will save 1.50 euros on every 25 litres.
The cost will be shared between the state and the oil companies and will result in 300m euros in lost tax revenues.
The announcement was made by the French Economy Minister Pierre Moscovici.
“This measure will also give us time to find a more permanent solution which is what the the president and the prime minister want”, said Moscovici.
The reduction was to come into effect within 24 hours of the announcement. It is a result of an election pledge by Francois Hollande to tackle rising fuel costs.
“It’s better than nothing, six cents here, six there, it adds up”, said one woman buying petrol.
The price cut will be reviewed after three months.
Fuel taxes are an important source of revenue for the French government which is struggling to cut its deficit in a stagnating economy.
Afficher Gas prices 28/08/2012 sur une carte plus grande
Petrol prices evolution in the EU and in the Eurozone Source: ec.europa.eu
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Hamas announces new Gaza truce after Israel restarts military assault amid rocket fire
- 1EU targets top Russian officials in new sanctions
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Hamas announces new Gaza truce after Israel restarts military assault amid rocket fire
- 4Norway terror threat raised
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk