One of the world’s most valuable paintings has been scribbled on with black marker pen.
Vladimir Umanets, from Russia, claims to be responsible for defacing “Black on Maroon”, one of Mark Rothko’s Seagram murals. However, he denies criminal damage.
The murals are hanging in a gallery at London’s Tate Modern. The museum was shut for a short time after the incident on Sunday. Despite the panic, there are no plans to prevent people getting up close to the art.
“I think it would be a shame because it is very hard to enjoy a piece of work if you can’t get close to it, if there is all kinds of apparatus in the way, barriers to it, especially – thinking Rothko in particular – has a very visceral approach.” said Olivier Basciano from Art Review magazine.
Rothko is a renowned post-war abstract impressionist. He was commissioned to paint the Seagram murals in 1958 for Manhattan’s iconic Four Seasons Restaurant.
One of his paintings sold for 65 million euros at auction in May.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 14:10 CET Death toll climbs to at least 13 in worst tragedy on Everest
- 14:07 CET Two killed in Bahrain car explosion – Interior Ministry
- 14:02 CET Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks…
- 11:39 CET Kidnapped French journalists found on Turkey’s Syrian border
- 11:31 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 11:28 CET Egyptian leftist politician submits bid to run for president
- 10:08 CET Gunmen kidnap two Pakistani U.N. staff members from Karachi
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state