One of the world’s most valuable paintings has been scribbled on with black marker pen.
Vladimir Umanets, from Russia, claims to be responsible for defacing “Black on Maroon”, one of Mark Rothko’s Seagram murals. However, he denies criminal damage.
The murals are hanging in a gallery at London’s Tate Modern. The museum was shut for a short time after the incident on Sunday. Despite the panic, there are no plans to prevent people getting up close to the art.
“I think it would be a shame because it is very hard to enjoy a piece of work if you can’t get close to it, if there is all kinds of apparatus in the way, barriers to it, especially – thinking Rothko in particular – has a very visceral approach.” said Olivier Basciano from Art Review magazine.
Rothko is a renowned post-war abstract impressionist. He was commissioned to paint the Seagram murals in 1958 for Manhattan’s iconic Four Seasons Restaurant.
One of his paintings sold for 65 million euros at auction in May.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israeli attacks on Gaza intensify as both sides discuss potential truce
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3EU to impose economic sanctions on Russia
- 4Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 5Precious power lost as Israeli strike takes out Gaza’s only energy plant
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 04:54 CET Insight – In China food testing, safety inspectors are often one…
- 04:49 CET Bombs in Syria’s Aleppo kill 13 pro-Assad fighters – monitor
- 04:45 CET At least 24 dead in Guinea beach concert stampede
- 04:25 CET Colombia’s Santos says FARC attacks could end peace process
- 04:12 CET Most Americans see unaccompanied immigrant kids as refugees – poll
- 03:20 CET No safe haven in China’s corruption crackdown: People’s Daily
- 00:36 CET U.S judge says cannot seize Kurdish crude for now
- 22:30 CET Four California teens charged in murder of China graduate student