Didier Deschamps was all smiles on Wednesday night as Bafétimbi Gomis’s 67th minute strike handed France a 2-1 friendly win over Italy in Parma.
Stephan El Shaarawy scored first for the Azzuri but goals from Mathieu Valbuena and Gomis sealed a come from behind victory for Les Blues.
Meanwhile, Zlatan Ibrahimovic produced a one-man show as Sweden beat England 4-2 to baptise the brand new Friends arena in Stockholm in style on Wednesday night.
The Paris St Germain striker scored the first of his four on the night after 20 minutes. A youthful England side – who had six players making debuts – equalised after 35 minutes through Danny Wellbeck.
Debutant Steven Caulker scored to put England two one up but Ibrahimovic struck again to level matters. He got his hattrick seven minutes later with a thunderous free-kick, but he saved the best for last.
Ibrahimovic capped off his fantastic performance and 84th cap with a goal-of-the-season contender. An incredible angled overhead kick to seal the 4-2 win and end England’s unbeaten run under coach Roy Hodgson.
Another high profile friendly on the night saw The Netherlands and Germany play out goalless stalemate in Amsterdam.
Joachim Loev’s Germany side dominated possession but failed to break a stubborn Dutch defence and had to settle for a draw with their old foes.
It ended all square between Turkey and Denmark in Istanbul – Nicklas Bendtner got the Danes in front from the spot on 65 minutes while Mevlut Erdinc salvaged the draw four minutes later.
elsewhere Romania upset the odds to beat Belgium 2-1 in Bucharest – Alexandru Maxim and Gabriel Torje hit the mark for the hosts after the Red Devils opened up the scoring on 23 minutes.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1The Shark bites: Nibali sprints to victory in stage 18 of the Tour de France
- 2Barcelona pay record sum for 30-year-old Mathieu
- 3LA Lakers signing Lin holds training camp in Taiwan
- 4‘Never give up’: euronews talks to potential Invictus Games competitors
- 5Football: Japan appoints Javier Aguirre as new manager
Wires > Sport
- 01:16 CET No more ‘cut-throat’ grand tours, says Wiggins
- 00:58 CET Pinto quits Costa Rica after ‘sleeping with enemy’
- 00:57 CET Pinto quits Costa Rica after ‘sleeping with enemy’
- 00:35 CET Wenger bemoans Arsenal’s pre-season tour schedule
- 23:53 CET Hamilton hopes to agree new deal this year
- 23:30 CET Scotland’s Murdoch wins shock gold in the pool
- 22:27 CET Renicks sisters secure Scotland’s first golds
- 22:21 CET Madrid’s Modric says Kroos and Rodriguez are the real deal