World number four Rafael Nadal will not participate at next month’s Australian Open after being forced to withdraw due to a stomach virus.
The 2009 Aussie Open champion had only just recovered from a knee injury that had sidelined the 26-year-old for six months – since his second round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Nadal said in a statement his knee was much better but the virus has prevented him practicing during the past week and that doctors have advised a week’s rest without any sport.
The Australian Open begins on January 14th in Melbourne.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 18:41 CET Liverpool sign Belgian Origi and loan him back to Lille
- 18:31 CET Ecclestone seeks to settle German bribery case
- 18:23 CET Macho sport looks to feminine side in women’s World Cup
- 17:58 CET Genk fire coach after opening game of the season
- 17:44 CET Barkley agrees new contract at Everton
- 17:42 CET Long arm of the law foiled in Glasgow
- 17:38 CET Messi could help us expand in Russia, say Barcelona
- 17:29 CET Juve’s Vidal staying and not Man United bound – Allegri