World number four Rafael Nadal will not participate at next month’s Australian Open after being forced to withdraw due to a stomach virus.
The 2009 Aussie Open champion had only just recovered from a knee injury that had sidelined the 26-year-old for six months – since his second round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Nadal said in a statement his knee was much better but the virus has prevented him practicing during the past week and that doctors have advised a week’s rest without any sport.
The Australian Open begins on January 14th in Melbourne.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 17:34 CET West Ham may spend more widely next year, says Allardyce
- 15:52 CET Row erupts over Russian invite to German soccer team Schalke
- 15:34 CET Roma running out of games in pursuit of relentless Juve
- 13:59 CET No rest for weary Atletico as Valencia trip looms
- 13:52 CET Bolton Wanderers to rename the Reebok stadium
- 13:37 CET Ajax extend ban on fans travelling to Feyenoord games
- 13:08 CET No clubs facing FFP European expulsion – Platini
- 11:01 CET Sturridge hopeful of returning against Chelsea