World number four Rafael Nadal will not participate at next month’s Australian Open after being forced to withdraw due to a stomach virus.
The 2009 Aussie Open champion had only just recovered from a knee injury that had sidelined the 26-year-old for six months – since his second round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Nadal said in a statement his knee was much better but the virus has prevented him practicing during the past week and that doctors have advised a week’s rest without any sport.
The Australian Open begins on January 14th in Melbourne.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 08:57 CET Czech Stepanak sets up Nadal clash at Indian Wells
- 06:15 CET Wounded South Africa clinging to throne
- 01:12 CET New engine, new rules and new sound for F1 in 2014
- 01:11 CET Ricciardo ready to take the Bull by the horns
- 01:10 CET Magnussen and Kvyat join the F1 fast track
- 01:09 CET Bribery case hangs over Formula One boss Ecclestone
- 01:08 CET Fire and ice pairing will keep Ferrari busy
- 01:06 CET F1 revolution threatens Vettel’s throne