Argentine war veterans gathered in Buenos Aires on Thursday, to voice their support for an open letter which calls for talks over the Falkland Islands.
The document, sent by President Cristina Fernandez to British Prime Minister David Cameron, was published in UK newspapers.
“I reiterate our invitation for us to abide by the resolutions of the United Nations,” Fernandez writes, reasserting her country’s sovereignty claim.
The Falklands are known as the Malvinas in Argentina.
Ernesto Alonso, from the Centre of Veterans of the Malvinas Islands, said: “It is fundamentally necessary that Great Britain sits down and has a dialogue.”
Cameron rebuffed the demands, saying it was down to islanders to decide their future, not Argentina.
“Whenever they have been asked their opinion, they have said they want to maintain their current status with the United Kingdom,” he said.
“They are holding a referendum this year and I hope the president of Argentina will listen to that referendum and recognise it is for the Falkland islanders to choose their future.”
Britain and Argentina fought a 10-week war in 1982 over the remote South Atlantic islands.
The Falklands are part of Britain’s self-governing overseas territories.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5The Netherlands receives first bodies from Flight MH17 with sombre ceremony
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 21:28 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:38 CET Seleka to sign ceasefire, drops call for Central African Republic…
- 17:10 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker