Which films, which stars will dominate this awards season? The British Academy of Film and Television Arts in London has provided the first clue.
“Lincoln” telling the story of U.S. President Abraham Lincoln’s battle to end slavery leads the pack having scooped a total of 10 nominations including Daniel Day-Lewis for best actor. Four other films are in the running, Argo, Les Miserables, Life of Pi and Zero Dark Thirty.
“I think this is actually a stand-out year. The range, the diversity, the quality, from big block- buster films to small quiet films, from American cinema to French cinema it is absolutely fantastic. It is a really, really good year,” opined John Willis BAFTA Chairman
Lincoln’s lead actor Day-Lewis’s co-stars Tommy Lee Jones and Sally Field have been shortlisted for best supporting actor and actress. But the films award-winning director Steven Spielberg was not nominated for best director. Some critics believe the movie won’t clean up in all the categories.
“You have a very, very widely spread series of votes so it means when you get to the awards ceremony you probably will not get one big winner you will get a number of films recognised. I think that is a very good thing,” said critic Mark Kermode.
Les Miserables the movie version of the global hit stage musical was the only British film to feature in the best film category.
And there was a final farewell to Dame Judi Dench in her role as M in James Bond after 17 years playing the character. She was nominated in the best supporting actress category.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 06:48 CET Pakistan, Iran agree to speed up gas pipeline project
- 05:57 CET North Korea’s ‘reign of terror’ worries South’s leader
- 02:59 CET U.S. Korean War veteran released by North says made ‘confession‘…
- 02:57 CET Former rebel mayor of Colombia’s capital removed from post
- 01:52 CET Three Cuban migrants feared killed off Florida coast
- 01:48 CET Chinese hackers spied on Europeans before G20 meeting – researcher
- 00:49 CET Egypt to hold mid-January constitutional referendum -minister
- 00:46 CET Eight bodies, some dismembered, found on Mexican highway