The Egyptian courts have accepted former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak’s appeal over his life sentence and ordered a retrial.
He was ousted from power following a revolution in Egypt in 2011.
Mubarak and his former Interior Minister were jailed over the deaths of anti-government protesters.
Judge Ahmed Ali Abdel Rahman said:
“The court has ruled to accept the appeal filed by defendants Hosni Mubarak and Habib Ibrahim el Adli and orders a retrial.”
There was a rapturous response from supporters, with one saying:
“This is a fair and correct verdict and thank God for that. Viva justice and congratulations to Mubarak.”
The retrial will be conducted by a different panel of judges, but will be based on the same evidence used in the previous trial.
But the 84-year-old’s ailing health may be taken into account, according one of his lawyers.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Five more years for Bouteflika
- 4Ceausescu’s Bucharest pleasuredome up for sale
- 5Ukraine: Pro-Russian separatists offered amnesty if they disarm
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 08:59 CET Search resumes after Everest’s worst climbing tragedy
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state
- 00:19 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 23:39 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status