A topless protest interupted Pope Benedict’s weekly prayers at the Vatican.
Four activists from the Ukrainian women’s rights group Femen hit out at the Catholic Church’s opposition to gay marriage.
They stripped off their shirts to reveal the words “Shut up” and “In Gay We Trust” printed on their bare chests and backs.
The protest was quickly interrupted by Italian police who, after a struggle, managed to carry away the four protesters.
Most in the crowds looked on in shock, but one woman was so enraged by the topless protesters she hit one with her umbrella and she called them “devilish and diabolical”.
Activist leader Inna Shevchenko said: “Today we go with a message to the Pope to shut up his mouth and not to give his advices to those people who decide to legalise gay marriage. Today we are here to protest against homophobia.”
The Vatican has become increasingly vocal against gay marriage and adoptions in recent months. The Pope strongly reaffirmed the Church’s opposition to gay marriage in December, saying heterosexual marriage had an indispensable role in society.
The Vatican newspaper on Sunday stressed that children should be raised by a father and a mother after Italy’s top appeals court granted a gay mother custody of her son, prompting a debate over gay adoption.
Pope Benedict did not seem to notice the demonstration.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 21:29 CET Two killed, 100 injured in gas explosion in Taiwan – Xinhua
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:56 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage
- 19:08 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militias use hit lists to pick off foes – police
- 19:01 CET Thai junta gives security forces majority in interim legislature