An air strike on a rebel-held town southwest of the Syrian capital Damascus has left 20 people dead, according to opposition activists.
Latest unverifiable video appears to show the scale of destruction around the city.
It comes a day after activists claim forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad killed at least 36 people, 14 of them children, in bombardments of rebel-held eastern areas near the capital.
Some sources say this air, rocket and artillery campaign is the heaviest since rebels overran a helicopter base and missile base near Damascus
two months ago and encroached on the main international airport.
Meanwhile, aid agencies are warning that Syria’s civil war is unleashing what they call a “staggering humanitarian disaster”.
Many of the hundreds of thousands of refugees who have fled the fighting have cited fear of rape as their main reason for leaving the country, claiming that gang rapes often occur in front of family members.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Russia sanctions threaten to rebound on EU
- 2Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Israeli strike kills 19 Palestinians near Gaza market
- 5India: entire village buried under massive mudslide
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
Wires > News
- 06:51 CET Some WTO members discussing customs deal without India – sources
- 05:17 CET El Salvador detains Spanish priest for smuggling cell phones into…
- 23:05 CET Drug-resistant malaria reaches Southeast Asia borders, could…
- 21:47 CET Hezbollah commander killed in Iraq-sources
- 21:07 CET Kerry presses India on global trade deal as deadline looms
- 20:14 CET Shi’ite militia hangs up 15 executed Sunnis in Iraqi square
- 19:50 CET U.S. blacklists North Korea shipping firms over arms shipments
- 18:01 CET South Korea president’s party wins vote, green light for economic…