Pakistan’s Supreme Court has issued an arrest warrant for the country’s prime minister Raja Pervez Ashraf for corruption.
The surprise move came as thousands marched in the capital Islamabad calling for reforms to clean up government.
Authorities have 24 hours to detain the prime minister and 16 others.
Big crowds showed their dissatisfaction with the current administration as they massed around the parliament complex.
The anti-corruption protests had been convened by a populist cleric, Tahirul Qadri, who wants the judiciary to ban corrupt politicians from standing in upcoming elections.
A spokesman said they would not leave until the current regime, which is backed by the United States, stands down.
At one point security forces fired into the air and used tear gas to try to control the crowd.
But though Qadri can mobilise large gatherings, he is not universally popular. Some see him as too close to the army, which has a history of military coups and interference in elections.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 18:30 CET Bomb hidden in fridge kills one, wounds eight in bus park in…
- 18:14 CET U.N. chief says arbitrary denial of aid a tactic of war in Syria
- 17:57 CET Insight – Purge of minorities re-draws Iraq map
- 16:43 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 16:28 CET At least 15 dead in Israeli shelling of Gaza school – Health…
- 16:18 CET Iraq parliament elects senior Kurdish politician president
- 16:16 CET Mediterranean boat people numbers soar to near 100,000 this year
- 16:14 CET Missing Air Algerie plane from Burkina Faso has crashed – Algerian…