A military train carrying young recruits to an army camp has derailed in a suburb of Cairo. At least 19 people have been killed and more than a hundred injured.
Sources say the train was on its way into the Egyptian capital when it came off the tracks.
Egypt’s roads and railways have a poor safety record. People have long complained that successive governments have failed to enforce even basic safeguards.
Last November, 50 people, most of them children, were killed when a train ploughed into a school bus at a crossing just south of Cairo.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 18:30 CET Bomb hidden in fridge kills one, wounds eight in bus park in…
- 18:14 CET U.N. chief says arbitrary denial of aid a tactic of war in Syria
- 17:57 CET Insight – Purge of minorities re-draws Iraq map
- 16:43 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 16:28 CET At least 15 dead in Israeli shelling of Gaza school – Health…
- 16:18 CET Iraq parliament elects senior Kurdish politician president
- 16:16 CET Mediterranean boat people numbers soar to near 100,000 this year
- 16:14 CET Missing Air Algerie plane from Burkina Faso has crashed – Algerian…