57 countries have called on the United Nations Security Council to refer the Syria conflict to the International Criminal Court for a war crimes investigation.
Signatories included many European nations including Britain, France and Germany.
The petition to the UN stated that there is strong evidence of crimes against humanity and war crimes over the past two years.
Analysts said Security Council approval would be the only way the ICC could legitimately investigate the conflict.
The call came as fresh unverified footage emerged, said to show the aftermath of government attacks in the capital Damascus and Aleppo.
Other amateur video purportedly show airstrikes by Syrian government jets on rural Idlib province.
The airforce targeted a village famous for its Roman and Byzantine ruins.
With hundreds of thousands of Syrians displaced by the fighting, sites like the Atmeh refugee camp on the border with Turkey are filling up fast.
Freezing temperatures have added to the hardship suffered by many refugees. There is no running water and a lack of food and medicine, say residents who have fled the violence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 04:55 CET Kerry pushes for Gaza truce as death toll tops 700
- 04:36 CET Leaders of Taiwan, China offer condolences for 48 dead in plane…
- 02:57 CET Venezuela’s world-famous ‘vertical slum’ may be demolished
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video