In her role as a United Nations goodwill ambassador, Hollywood actress Mia Farrow has appealed for more help for Syrian refugees.
At the end of a two-day visit to camps in neighbouring Lebanon, she described the living conditions as “dire” after winter storms battered the region.
“There are expecting more snow, more rain next week; so what are people do to? So it is truly an emergency and I hope the world will support,” said the actress.
Farrow, who works with the UN children’s agency UNICEF, told reporters that 75 percent of refugees were women and children.
She called on the international community to do more to help them survive the winter.
To date over 600,000 people have fled the violence in Syria for neighbouring countries including Lebanon which hosts about a third of them.
The UN expects the numbers of refugees to increase as hundreds of thousands of others have displaced inside Syria by the 21-month conflict.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 19:01 CET Israel suspends peace talks after Palestinian unity bid
- 18:40 CET Netanyahu: Israel will never negotiate with Hamas-backed government
- 18:38 CET South Sudan to free prisoners as pressure mounts for peace deal
- 18:12 CET Three Americans killed in Kabul hospital attack
- 17:49 CET Egypt’s army says has ‘complete control’ over Sinai Peninsula
- 17:48 CET Israel suspends peace talks with Palestinians – Israeli official
- 17:48 CET Syrian air strikes kill dozens at market near Aleppo -report
- 17:45 CET Kuwaiti parliament seeks to question prime minister on housing