How much damage will the pictures of passengers being evacuated from a 787 Dreamliner affect confidence in the aircraft? The All Nipon Airways flight was diverted from its route to Tokyo after instruments indicated a battery malfunction. It led to Japan’s top two carriers grounding their fleets.
Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways operate around 50 of the giant jets delivered to date by Boeing. How will the order book be affected?
“As of now there are about 800 orders for the Boeing 787. If they indeed manage to look into these problems properly then I think cancellations will be limited to as few as possible,” said Kotaro Torumi an airline industry expert.
A crack which appeared in the window of the pilot’s side of the cockpit last Friday was the fifth safety problem in a week to beset the aircraft which has been heralded by some as the future of commercial aviation.
But problems arose before the first plane was even delivered. There were cost overruns and years of delays. Boeing have denied outsourcing or a rush to get the project completed due to the delays resulted in the recent problems.
A comprehensive review of the aircraft was announced in the US last week.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 5European Commission presidency candidates to go head-to-head in first debate
Wires > News
- 08:20 CET In Cairo, one family’s story shows rise of radical threat
- 06:33 CET China Communist Party mouthpiece demands “rectification” of…
- 06:12 CET Obama wraps up Japan visit after security pledge but no trade deal
- 05:46 CET Obama warns North Korea on nuclear test – South Korean media
- 05:41 CET Exclusive – Obama may call EU leaders in Russia sanctions push…
- 04:35 CET Witnesses in U.S. Army hearing call 2007 Iraq shootings unjustified
- 03:07 CET California school bus crash injures driver, 11 children
- 01:12 CET Japan says no trade deal with U.S. as Obama prepares to depart