At least 25 people were killed in Egypt on Wednesday when an apartment block collapsed in Alexandria, Egyptian media reported. There are at least 10 wounded.
The eight-storey building in a working class district of the Mediterranean city collapsed just before 7am local time. Residents said the building was home to more than 30 people.
Rescue workers used mechanical diggers and their bare hands to search through the rubble.
A history of crumbling infrastructure
Building collapses are common in Egypt and many blame them on lax building standards and poor maintenance. The Egypt Independent reveals that this particular building developed a crack in its foundation around two years ago due to a sewer runoff. Leaked water is suspected again this time.
Al Jazeera Cairo correspondent Rawya Rageh tweeted this reaction from the Egyptian Housing minister:
Last July 19 people died when an 11-storey building collapsed in the same city.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 00:13 CET Syria eyes end of chemical arms monitoring mission; West disagrees
- 00:10 CET Australia transport safety chief says beach debris not from MH370…
- 23:49 CET Colombia ICRC says peace may solve mystery of disappeared
- 23:20 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 22:36 CET Vandals deface Pope John Paul II memorial before canonisation
- 22:24 CET Car bomb kills four in Kenyan capital
- 22:03 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 22:02 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from U.S. to…