A distraught man carrying a wounded child through rubble and shouting “innocent children, innocent children” is the opening image on one of several amateur videos posted on a social website.
They have been unverified and show Syrian government air strikes reportedly targeting the province of Hama.
The number of dead and wounded is not clear. Syrian warplanes and troops mounted a countrywide offensive on Thursday, activists and state media said.
Further images captured alleged attacks in Damascus. The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said more than one hundred people including women and children were killed in one of Thursday’s attacks on a district on the edge of Homs. Aleppo was also a target.
Pictures of devastation caused when a rocket slammed into a building in the city were provided by the government-controlled Syrian television.
It said there were several casualties and that the explosion was caused by a rocket fired by a “terrorist group” a term the government uses frequently to describe rebels involved in the 22-month-old uprising.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 22:23 CET U.S. university drops claim Chinese dissident Chen was spied on
- 22:12 CET Iran foreign minister says nuclear deal dead if U.S. passes new…
- 22:09 CET Exclusive – Russia signs deal to forgive $29 billion of Cuba’s…
- 21:19 CET Former rebel mayor of Colombia’s capital removed from post
- 21:08 CET Pope calls hunger “global scandal,” urges lifestyle changes
- 21:06 CET Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on media
- 20:58 CET Turkish court frees lawmaker in coup plot case pending appeal
- 20:52 CET U.N. to inspect Libya’s uranium stocks amid worsening security