A distraught man carrying a wounded child through rubble and shouting “innocent children, innocent children” is the opening image on one of several amateur videos posted on a social website.
They have been unverified and show Syrian government air strikes reportedly targeting the province of Hama.
The number of dead and wounded is not clear. Syrian warplanes and troops mounted a countrywide offensive on Thursday, activists and state media said.
Further images captured alleged attacks in Damascus. The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said more than one hundred people including women and children were killed in one of Thursday’s attacks on a district on the edge of Homs. Aleppo was also a target.
Pictures of devastation caused when a rocket slammed into a building in the city were provided by the government-controlled Syrian television.
It said there were several casualties and that the explosion was caused by a rocket fired by a “terrorist group” a term the government uses frequently to describe rebels involved in the 22-month-old uprising.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 2Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 3[Live updates] Moscow says EU sanctions “will not be left without response”
- 4Syria’s Assad expresses support to Putin on Ukraine
- 5Ukraine police on alert as violence erupts at pro-Russia demo
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 15:09 CET Turkish president rejects Facebook, YouTube ban over wiretaps
- 15:01 CET Latin American presidents to discuss Venezuela unrest, Ecuador says
- 14:59 CET Kerry in Jordan for talks on Middle East peace
- 14:58 CET Saudi Arabia designates Muslim Brotherhood as terrorist group-…
- 14:42 CET Two South African policemen suspended over video-recorded assault
- 14:05 CET Congo warlord’s conviction brings relief to international court
- 13:16 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 13:04 CET Trial begins for U.S. Army general accused of sex crimes