Francisco Lopez won the penultimate stage of this year’s Dakar Rally – a 735 kilometre ride between Copiapo and La Serena in his native Chile.
Lopez picked up his fourth win this edition when he completed the 441 kilometres timed special in three hours, 44 minutes and 54 seconds.
KTM stablemate and overall leader Cyril Despres of France was second on the day and bar accident in the final stage should claim his fifth Dakar title.
Despres is eight minutes and 15 seconds clear of Lopez who moved above Portugal’s Ruben Faria into second.
American Robby Gordon steered his Hummer to victory in the car category for his second stage win in three days.
Russian Leonid Novistkiy continued his push to cement the final spot on the overall Dakar podium with a fifth-place finish on the day.
The Mini driver is third overall one and a half hours off leader Stephane Peterhansel who was ninth on the day but remains in prime position to win a record extending 11th Dakar crown.
South African Giniel de Villiers was fourth over the stage and is second overall 44 minutes off the pace.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1François d’Haene wins Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc
- 2World Judo Championships: Kelmendi and Ebinuma continue world dominance
- 3Sanchez sends Arsenal through to Champions League
- 4Manchester United set for Falcao arrival as Hernandez joins Real Madrid
- 5Champions League: Liverpool to face reigning champions Real Madrid
- 1Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 2Japanese company brings the beach lifestyle to business | euronews, world news
- 3Earth Overshoot Day arrives earlier as we consume too much | euronews, economy
- 4Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 5#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 6NATO: ‘Ready to deploy forces’ in response to all security challenges | euronews, world news
- 7Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 8US warns Russia that Ukraine aid delivery would be ‘viewed as an invasion’ | euronews, world news
- 9Renewing your driving licence within the EU | euronews, u talk
- 10Russian aid convoy is ‘direct invasion’ says Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 11Sephardic Jews eye return to Spain | euronews, reporter
- 12Elephants smell better | euronews, science
- 13At least 6 confirmed dead in Paris apartment blast | euronews, world news
- 14Putin says he could take Kyiv in a fortnight | euronews, world news
- 15Wikimedia says taking a selfie is monkey business | euronews, world news
- 16Hundreds of Ukranian troops retreat across border to Russia | euronews, world news
- 17No candidates are likely to thwart Erdogan, says polling analyst | euronews, news
- 18Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights | euronews, world news
- 19Voting in Turkey’s Presidential election underway | euronews, world news
- 20WW1 centenary day ends with ‘Lights Out’ across UK | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 05:15 CET Wozniacki wallops Errani to reach U.S. Open semi-finals
- 04:55 CET Contador leads Tour of Spain after Quintana crash
- 22:44 CET Electric series generates plenty of buzz
- 22:16 CET Russia World Cup not under discussion, says Blatter
- 21:52 CET Manchester City’s Guidetti still hoping for Celtic switch
- 21:22 CET No reheated soup, but plenty of leftovers for Serie A
- 19:03 CET Bautista to lead depleted Spain in Davis Cup playoff
- 17:44 CET Aston Villa sign Cleverley on loan in late deal