19/01/13 16:58 CET
Jan Matura has claimed his first ever podium finish and win on his 169th start at the Japanese resort of Sapporo.
The 32-year-old’s results have been steadily improving in recent meetings, he finished a season-best sixth last time out in Zakopane.
The Czech got off to a cracking start in Japan producing a first round jump of 132m for 128.7 points.
He went on to land a second jump of 135m to win with a total of 249.5 points.
In Second place was Tom Hilde who finished just 0.7 points behind him.
The Norwegian recorded much bigger jumps, of 136m and 139m, the biggest of the day, but his total was hampered by wind compensation.
Third place went to Robert Kranjec of Slovenia.
The 31-year-old posted the biggest leap of the first round but a poor second jump saw him slide back with 244.4 points overall.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 02:29 CET Tiger stumps Sherwood rivals with magical 62
- 01:27 CET Swedish player wins when he’s singing
- 00:57 CET Barca survive King’s Cup scare to beat Cartagena
- 00:48 CET Next stage of World Cup ticket sales starts Sunday
- 00:20 CET Brazil start quest for sixth title against Croatia
- 22:19 CET Brazil already eyeing last 16 after favourable draw
- 21:58 CET Exclusive- Brazil report on World Cup air traffic jams at odds…
- 21:40 CET World Cup hero Hurst does England no favours in draw