19/01/13 16:58 CET
Jan Matura has claimed his first ever podium finish and win on his 169th start at the Japanese resort of Sapporo.
The 32-year-old’s results have been steadily improving in recent meetings, he finished a season-best sixth last time out in Zakopane.
The Czech got off to a cracking start in Japan producing a first round jump of 132m for 128.7 points.
He went on to land a second jump of 135m to win with a total of 249.5 points.
In Second place was Tom Hilde who finished just 0.7 points behind him.
The Norwegian recorded much bigger jumps, of 136m and 139m, the biggest of the day, but his total was hampered by wind compensation.
Third place went to Robert Kranjec of Slovenia.
The 31-year-old posted the biggest leap of the first round but a poor second jump saw him slide back with 244.4 points overall.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 06:57 CET Mexico’s Marquez bows out of Libertadores Cup with red card
- 03:19 CET Analysis – United must move fast with vital window looming
- 02:03 CET Real’s Bale a doubt for Bayern game with illness – reports
- 01:33 CET Mourinho’s cautious Chelsea frustrate Atletico
- 00:59 CET Chelsea have Champions League advantage, Simeone concedes
- 00:54 CET Cech, Terry to miss rest of Premier League season
- 00:53 CET World Cup test event to go ahead with reduced crowd
- 23:51 CET Leicester seal second-tier title with win at Bolton