Jan Matura has claimed his first ever podium finish and win on his 169th start at the Japanese resort of Sapporo.
The 32-year-old’s results have been steadily improving in recent meetings, he finished a season-best sixth last time out in Zakopane.
The Czech got off to a cracking start in Japan producing a first round jump of 132m for 128.7 points.
He went on to land a second jump of 135m to win with a total of 249.5 points.
In Second place was Tom Hilde who finished just 0.7 points behind him.
The Norwegian recorded much bigger jumps, of 136m and 139m, the biggest of the day, but his total was hampered by wind compensation.
Third place went to Robert Kranjec of Slovenia.
The 31-year-old posted the biggest leap of the first round but a poor second jump saw him slide back with 244.4 points overall.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Judo World Championships: Kondo and Ganbat celebrate opening day wins
- 2Man Utd’s woes continue, Bayern start with win and Ajax stumped at home
- 3World Judo Championships: Kelmendi and Ebinuma continue world dominance
- 4Ricciardo wins Belgium GP after Mercedes collision
- 5Fans pay tribute to striker Ebosse
- 1Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 2Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target | euronews, space
- 3Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 4Japanese company brings the beach lifestyle to business | euronews, world news
- 5Earth Overshoot Day arrives earlier as we consume too much | euronews, economy
- 6Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 7#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 8US warns Russia that Ukraine aid delivery would be ‘viewed as an invasion’ | euronews, world news
- 9Renewing your driving licence within the EU | euronews, u talk
- 10Russian aid convoy is ‘direct invasion’ says Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 11Elephants smell better | euronews, science
- 12Wikimedia says taking a selfie is monkey business | euronews, world news
- 13Hundreds of Ukranian troops retreat across border to Russia | euronews, world news
- 14Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower? | euronews, world news
- 15No candidates are likely to thwart Erdogan, says polling analyst | euronews, news
- 16Spain treats Europe’s first case of Ebola | euronews, world news
- 17Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights | euronews, world news
- 18Voting in Turkey’s Presidential election underway | euronews, world news
- 19WW1 centenary day ends with ‘Lights Out’ across UK | euronews, world news
- 20Love learning, stop hating! | euronews, generation y
Wires > Sport
- 13:12 CET Former United winger Kanchelskis in charge of Latvian club
- 12:14 CET Buyout offer from Blavatnik sends Perform shares surging back to…
- 11:36 CET Soccer-Monaco striker Falcao set for Man United loan – source
- 09:22 CET Soccer-Ajax buy back-up keeper as Vermeer heads to Feyenoord
- 01:01 CET Simon beats Ferrer to register first men’s upset
- 01:00 CET Messi injured in Barcelona win
- 00:53 CET Zimbabwe prove potential with shock win over Australia
- 20:12 CET Quintana in Vuelta command after Contador causes havoc