Unlike civilians, the Israeli military won’t get a day off for the country’s general election on Tuesday.
So instead soldiers were allowed to vote two days early at a naval base in the town of Ashdod.
Around 60 polling stations have been open over the weekend, just for the army.
Polls suggest the right-wing and religious Likud-Beitenu bloc are likely to win a slim parliamentary majority, set for 63 out of 120 available seats.
That puts Benjamin Netanyahu on course to secure a third term in office as prime minister..
That’s despite support for the government waning when corruption charges were levelled at his former Foreign Minister. Avigdor Lieberman was forced to stepped down last month.
Another ex-Foreign Minister Tzipi Livini who formed the centrist Hatnua party last year has called for a unity government in the light of what she described
an “emergency situation” facing Israel.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 3A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 4As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 5Spain’s former prime minister, Adolfo Suarez dies, aged 81
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 06:03 CET Captain of stricken Korean ferry may not have been on bridge -…
- 05:40 CET China sentences activists for urging asset disclosure – lawyer
- 04:32 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 03:01 CET Disapproval of Brazil’s president grows ahead of election
- 01:34 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika camp claims election win, rival alleges fraud
- 01:26 CET Students add Easter twist to dwindling Venezuela protests
- 01:23 CET U.N. inquiry chief wants North Korea hauled before international…
- 01:14 CET Tokyo area hit by magnitude 4.7 earthquake