As President Barack Obama prepares to be sworn in for a second term on Monday, he found time to help spruce up a Washington elementary school as part of a day of service to promote volunteer work.
Obama then made a speech encouraging young people to get involved helping their communities.
Across the United States, people took part in service projects on Saturday, which is also a national holiday in honour of civil rights leader Martin Luther King.
First Lady Michelle Obama hosted the Kids’ Inaugural Concert, a star-studded event that honours American military families.
The pop extravaganza was headlined by Katy Perry, dressed in stars and stripes for the occasion.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 06:19 CET Suicide bomber attacks troop convoy near airport in Afghan capital
- 05:26 CET China cuts more red tape, paves way for NDRC slim-down
- 04:23 CET Chinese paper rejects comparison between Mandela and Nobel…
- 02:14 CET Colombia’s ousted Bogota mayor rallies thousands in protest
- 01:50 CET Uruguay becomes first country to legalise marijuana trade
- 01:45 CET Mexico may begin new airport’s construction next year – minister
- 01:40 CET Czech parties reach deal to form centre-left government
- 01:32 CET Ukrainian police enter square occupied by protesters