Thousands of anti-racism protesters have rallied in the streets of the Greek capital.
The march follows the stabbing of 27-year old Pakistani Shehzad Luqman, killed as he rode his bicycle to work in an Athens suburb on Wednesday.
Racist attacks are on the rise as Greece struggles through its worst economic downturn in six decades.
Pakistani community leader Javied Aslam has called for lawmakers to take action:
“The government must take measures and demonstrate that, yes, there are laws and we do not live in the jungle, that laws exist and that people can be punished.”
Earlier, a group gathered around Luqman’s coffin to pay their respects.
Two Greek men have been charged with his murder.
One of them has been linked to Golden Dawn, a party that seeks to rid Greece of immigrant workers.
The United Nations warns that racism has reached alarming levels during the financial crisis, which has left more than a quarter of the Greek labour force out of work.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 3Turkey’s Erdogan threatens Facebook & YouTube over ‘immorality and espionage’
- 4Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 5Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 04:34 CET Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
- 04:23 CET China says will not permit chaos or war on Korean peninsula
- 01:08 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 00:38 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis – media
- 22:32 CET Three killed in Cairo clashes, 48 wounded across Egypt
- 21:50 CET U.S. special forces sent to train Iraqi special forces in Jordan
- 21:34 CET Latin American foreign ministers to discuss Venezuela unrest
- 21:26 CET Turkey’s former army chief freed from prison