The French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has said the goal of France’s military action in Mali is to retake the entire country.
Mali, a former French colony, is battling an Islamist insurgency that has seized control of the north.
The French army has taken control of the airport in the central town of Sevare and brought in reinforcements.
As they await the arrival of more West African military support, French and Malian troops are gathered in the central town of Niono.
Euronews correspondent François Chignac reports from there:
“We are on a night patrol north of Niono with a special unit guiding the French aircraft carrying out strikes. The French launched air strikes a week ago. They have carried out more yesterday and today, and tomorrow will bring more.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan kills dozens
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Official photos capture Prince George’s first birthday
- 5Gaza’s civilians, ‘no safe space left’
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:38 CET Seleka to sign ceasefire, drops call for Central African Republic…
- 17:11 CET Bombs in north Nigeria’s Kaduna kill at least 82
- 17:10 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker
- 16:59 CET Second bomb in Nigeria’s Kaduna kills 50 – Red Cross worker
- 16:41 CET Chaos as Czech parliament approves, then scraps, petrol tax cut
- 15:20 CET South Korea ferry fugitive hid behind cabin wall, bags of cash at…