Star-spangled banners, tight security and crowd barriers. All preparations for US President Barack Obama’s public inauguration.
Up to 800,000 are expected for the grand parade on Monday.
They’ll line the route down the National Mall and watch Obama and Vice President Joe Biden take their oaths in front of the Capitol.
Obama was officially sworn in at the White House on Sunday, where an inaugurational gala was held.
His brief speech emphasised his desire to unite America and the national work ethic.
“Make sure you know what we are celebrating is not the election or swearing-in of a President; what we are doing is celebrating each other and celebrating this incredible nation that we call home. And after we celebrate, let’s make sure to work as hard as we can to pass on an America that is worthy not only of our past but also of our future”.
The US President’s inauguration takes place on Martin Luther King Day. It’s a coincidence that carries great significance and resonance. As he embarks on his second term in office, he will symbolically take the oath on both Lincoln and King’s bibles.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 10:23 CET European court rules against Poland over secret CIA jail
- 10:14 CET Indonesia’s Prabowo faces uncertain fate in opposition
- 09:55 CET U.S. lifts ban on flights to Israel as Gaza toll tops 700
- 09:47 CET Clashes in Libya’s Benghazi kill at least nine
- 09:40 CET Attack on bus in Iraq kills 51 prisoners, nine police
- 09:37 CET Disenchanted with Putin, some Russians vote with their feet
- 09:30 CET Taiwan says weather not seen as cause of plane crash that killed 48
- 09:20 CET U.N. urges sustained effort to improve flagging development