Star-spangled banners, tight security and crowd barriers. All preparations for US President Barack Obama’s public inauguration.
Up to 800,000 are expected for the grand parade on Monday.
They’ll line the route down the National Mall and watch Obama and Vice President Joe Biden take their oaths in front of the Capitol.
Obama was officially sworn in at the White House on Sunday, where an inaugurational gala was held.
His brief speech emphasised his desire to unite America and the national work ethic.
“Make sure you know what we are celebrating is not the election or swearing-in of a President; what we are doing is celebrating each other and celebrating this incredible nation that we call home. And after we celebrate, let’s make sure to work as hard as we can to pass on an America that is worthy not only of our past but also of our future”.
The US President’s inauguration takes place on Martin Luther King Day. It’s a coincidence that carries great significance and resonance. As he embarks on his second term in office, he will symbolically take the oath on both Lincoln and King’s bibles.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 2Death of a politician raises tension in Ukraine
- 3Egypt: Mursi espionage trial adjourned and media ban imposed
- 4Crimean authorities move against Tatars and their leader
- 5Ukrainian president calls for resumption of “anti-terrorist” operations in east
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 08:07 CET Serendipity aids Egypt in struggle to recover stolen heritage
- 08:06 CET Import tariffs strain rich-poor gap in ‘madly expensive’ Luanda
- 07:57 CET China military says faces ‘complex’ task keeping secrets
- 07:37 CET Russia holds snap military drills in Caspian Sea – report
- 07:17 CET Thai court gives PM more time in abuse of power case
- 05:58 CET Iran asks U.N. to act on U.S. ban on new ambassador
- 05:57 CET Obama reassures Japan, other allies on China ahead of visit
- 05:54 CET Vietnam sentences American to death over heroin – newspapers