British grandmother, Lindsay Sandiford has been sentenced to death in Bali for drug smuggling.
She was arrested last May after Indonesian customs discovered 4.8kg of cocaine lining her suitcase.
Indonesia has some of the toughest anti-drug laws in the world, with around 40 foreigners currently on death row for drugs related offences.
The news has shocked many as the prosecution recommended a jail sentence of 15 years. The judges said that Sandiford had damaged Bali’s image and weakened the government’s anti-drug programme.
The verdict has increased tension between Indonesia and the UK which has reiterated its opposition to the death penalty.
Sandiford insists she was coerced into carrying the drugs to protect her children. Her lawyer has said they will appeal, but the process could take up to 8 years.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3Expectations are low as ministers gather for Ukraine crisis talks in Geneva
- 4‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 14:13 CET Russia’s Putin fields question from U.S. fugitive Snowden
- 13:47 CET Divers struggle in search for Korean ferry survivors
- 13:35 CET Iran cuts sensitive nuclear stockpile, key plant delayed – IAEA
- 13:31 CET Nigeria local authorities say most of abducted schoolgirls still…
- 13:27 CET Reporters charged with defamation remanded on bail in Thailand
- 13:26 CET Cut off from the world, Gazans consumed by poverty
- 13:19 CET India holds biggest day of voting with Hindu nationalists gaining…
- 12:29 CET Saudi conservatives protest against Westernisation