Algeria’s Prime Minister says last week’s attack on the In Amenas gas plant, in which at least 38 mostly foreign workers died, was coordinated by a Canadian.
Abdelmalek Sellal said the Canadian citizen, whom he named only as Chedad, was among the 29 gunmen killed. Canada says it is seeking more information.
“Most of the workers were freed,” Sellal told reporters, “except five foreigners who are still missing, we do not know where they are. Maybe they are in hiding, or they fled, or they were killed, God have mercy on them.”
Americans, Japanese, Filipinos and Britons are among those hostages confirmed dead. Others are still unaccounted for. Nearly 700 Algerians and 100 other foreigners survived.
In a video distributed on the internet, militant leader Mokhtar Belmokhtar claimed to have carried out the assault on behalf of Al Qaeda. He also demanded an end to French intervention in Mali.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 16:59 CET Italy arrests five for mass murder during boat crossing
- 16:54 CET Jokowi party claims victory in Indonesian presidential election
- 16:49 CET Striking South African unions considering latest offer
- 16:47 CET Italy parliament votes to allow arrest of Berlusconi ally
- 16:44 CET Kuwait revokes citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 16:42 CET Gunfire rings out near military base in Congo’s capital -witnesses
- 16:41 CET Colombian mine mechanics, government to seek end to 12-day strike
- 16:29 CET South Sudan rebel team quits Uganda without meeting on mending ties