Israelis have been voting in a general election that looks set to take the country further to the right.
The outcome is widely expected to bring the incumbent Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu a third term in office, but with a reduced majority.
Opinion polls suggest his Likud party’s conservative alliance has lost ground to the Jewish Home Party led by Naftali Bennett. His ultra-nationalist group has struck a chord among voters and has eroded support for Netanyahu.
Likud is in a right-wing alliance but may need others’ support. Tzipi Lizni, a centrist former foreign minister, has said she would consider joining a government under Netanyahu.
Unlike previous elections and with little prospect of a return to peace talks, the campaign has not been dominated by the Palestinian issue.
Netanyahu has argued for stronger national security. Some voters believe there are other priorities.
“Security of course is the big issue, but day-to-day life is all about how can you afford to live in a place you want to live in and it’s not happening here,” said one man.
“I have no expectations because the situation in Israel is quite bad and there is no leadership,” said another.
“We need a Jewish-Arab option, we need peace, we need to look after the economy in a way that is much more compassionate,” a woman added.
Netanyahu’s last term has been marked by large protests over the high cost of living. But many believe the outcome is predictable and foresee little change.
Euronews correspondent in Israel Bora Bayraktar says:
“Compared to previous elections there’s not been much excitement, and people’s expectations are low. But despite this, people did turn out to vote early.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1NATO: satellite images ‘show Russian troops in Ukraine’
- 2Islamic State video shows ‘scores of dead Syrian soldiers’
- 3Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 4Protesters demand more frontline equipment for Ukraine soldiers
- 5New Turkey President Erdogan says priorities include EU accession
- 1Footage released of 9-year-old on firing range moments before she accidently kills instructor
- 2Boston bombing suspects’ sister arrested
- 3Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights
- 4Poroshenko says Russian soldiers have been ‘brought into Ukraine’
- 5Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 1Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 2Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target | euronews, space
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 4Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6Japanese company brings the beach lifestyle to business | euronews, world news
- 7Earth Overshoot Day arrives earlier as we consume too much | euronews, economy
- 8US warns Russia that Ukraine aid delivery would be ‘viewed as an invasion’ | euronews, world news
- 9Renewing your driving licence within the EU | euronews, u talk
- 10Banking for everyone: Africa’s next big challenge | euronews, focus
- 11Russian aid convoy is ‘direct invasion’ says Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 12Wikimedia says taking a selfie is monkey business | euronews, world news
- 13Hundreds of Ukranian troops retreat across border to Russia | euronews, world news
- 14Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower? | euronews, world news
- 15No candidates are likely to thwart Erdogan, says polling analyst | euronews, news
- 16Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights | euronews, world news
- 17Voting in Turkey’s Presidential election underway | euronews, world news
- 18WW1 centenary day ends with ‘Lights Out’ across UK | euronews, world news
- 19Love learning, stop hating! | euronews, generation y
- 20Precious power lost as Israeli strike takes out Gaza’s only energy plant | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:04 CET Macau to ‘re-elect’ leader as democratic rumblings, mirroring Hong…
- 06:59 CET Icelandic volcano alert raised to red after eruption, no volcanic…
- 06:50 CET Volcanic eruption in Papua New Guinea causes flight diversions
- 06:00 CET Magnitude 5.7 quake strikes 80 miles south of Athens – USGS
- 05:41 CET Accident traps at least 25 miners in Nicaragua, government-backed…
- 05:36 CET With eye on China, Japan defence planners seek spending boost
- 04:34 CET Syrian accused of making detonators with U.S. parts faces Arizona…
- 03:19 CET U.S., China plan followup to Sunnylands summit in November