The US presidential couple rounded off inauguration day with a turn on the dance floor at a celebratory ball.
This time around there were only two formal inaugural balls, down from 10 in 2009.
Earlier, the couple had thrilled onlookers by twice getting out of their armoured limousine to greet the crowds on Pennsylvania Avenue.
Obama’s ceremonial swearing-in at the US Capitol was filled with the traditional pomp and pageantry, but it was a scaled-back inauguration compared with 2009, when he swept into office on a wave of hope and change as America’s first black president.
While the crowds on the National Mall were enthusiastic, it is clear the euphoria of 2009 has gone.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 21:00 CET Suicide bomb kills at least four at army base in Benghazi -…
- 20:21 CET Qatar emir arrives in Jeddah to meet Saudi king – Al Jazeera TV
- 19:42 CET Boko Haram virtually controls Nigerian town, villages – witnesses
- 18:53 CET U.S. airlines halt flights to Israel due to instability
- 18:46 CET Indonesian president-elect Jokowi calls for unity after bitter…
- 18:26 CET Central African Republic rebels demand partition in Brazzaville…
- 18:15 CET IAEA worried about slow progress in Iran nuclear probe- sources
- 18:01 CET Russia may ask rich to help foot bill for Crimea with ‘solidarity…