The US presidential couple rounded off inauguration day with a turn on the dance floor at a celebratory ball.
This time around there were only two formal inaugural balls, down from 10 in 2009.
Earlier, the couple had thrilled onlookers by twice getting out of their armoured limousine to greet the crowds on Pennsylvania Avenue.
Obama’s ceremonial swearing-in at the US Capitol was filled with the traditional pomp and pageantry, but it was a scaled-back inauguration compared with 2009, when he swept into office on a wave of hope and change as America’s first black president.
While the crowds on the National Mall were enthusiastic, it is clear the euphoria of 2009 has gone.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 3US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 4Italy: ‘Pitchfork protesters’ disrupt road and rail travel in protest at state of economy
- 5Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 03:37 CET China tells pilots to improve landing skills to deal with Beijing…
- 01:40 CET Pro-sanctions U.S. lawmakers will introduce new Iran bill soon
- 00:52 CET Heavy rains paralyse Rio as residents protest, loot
- 00:38 CET Egyptian forces arrest Qataris at Al Jazeera office in Cairo -…
- 00:02 CET Russia seeks trade talks with Washington – Russian official
- 00:01 CET Blood donation collectors thrown out of Israeli parliament
- 22:52 CET Italian PM Letta wins confidence votes, vows reforms
- 22:37 CET Italy PM Letta wins confidence vote in Senate