The US presidential couple rounded off inauguration day with a turn on the dance floor at a celebratory ball.
This time around there were only two formal inaugural balls, down from 10 in 2009.
Earlier, the couple had thrilled onlookers by twice getting out of their armoured limousine to greet the crowds on Pennsylvania Avenue.
Obama’s ceremonial swearing-in at the US Capitol was filled with the traditional pomp and pageantry, but it was a scaled-back inauguration compared with 2009, when he swept into office on a wave of hope and change as America’s first black president.
While the crowds on the National Mall were enthusiastic, it is clear the euphoria of 2009 has gone.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 21:29 CET Car bomb in Kenyan capital kills four people
- 21:28 CET U.S. Western Sahara draft urges respecting human rights, no …
- 21:02 CET New law to lure investors to Egypt could feed corruption, critics…
- 20:52 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from US to…
- 20:29 CET South Africa platinum strike talks to continue Thursday
- 20:23 CET Italy’s Berlusconi to start community service work next week
- 20:20 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 19:55 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt