With the Algerian hostage crisis over, harrowing stories from the survivors are beginning to emerge.
Reliving the narrow escape from death was clearly overwhelming for Romanian survivor, Liviu Floria who had to walk 30km through the desert to safety. He speaks of his traumatic experience.
“I entered my office with my colleague.
We closed the door, hid under the desk and, we waited to see what was going to happen in total darkness. All around us we could hear guns firing and people yelling. Everything happened in just three minutes. The difference between life and death was three minutes.”
Filipino survivor Joseph Balmaceda was used as a human shield by the hostage takers. He did not escape unscathed having sustained countless shrapnel wounds across his body.
“The Terrorist triggered the C-4 explosive inside our vehicle. I was trying to escape and I saw the government forces from afar motioning me to drop to the ground and roll towards them. It’s like having a second chance at life, because even as I was crawling on the ground the terrorists were still shooting at me”.
For those who were not so lucky, the picture is not so clear as final figures of the dead have yet to be released.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 3Spain’s former prime minister, Adolfo Suarez dies, aged 81
- 4As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 04:50 CET Divers enter capsized South Korean ferry in hunt for survivors
- 04:32 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 03:01 CET Disapproval of Brazil’s president grows ahead of election
- 01:34 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika camp claims election win, rival alleges fraud
- 01:26 CET Students add Easter twist to dwindling Venezuela protests
- 01:23 CET U.N. inquiry chief wants North Korea hauled before international…
- 01:14 CET Tokyo area hit by magnitude 4.7 earthquake
- 00:34 CET French troops free five aid workers kidnapped in Mali