Austenland, directed by Jerusha Hess, and staring Jane Seymour, has premiered at Sundance.
The plot concerns an Austen fan who goes to a theme park in search of Mr Darcy and of course, gets more than she bargained for. Cue wet shirts and heaving bosoms.
It is the latest offering in what is rapidly becoming a rom com sub-genre of its own: stories about women who prefer Austen’s world to their own.
That doesn’t mean it’s a complete duck though. It’s lush and silly and is just that ideal sugar/salt mix that makes popcorn so munchable. Pass the white wine, girls. Darcy, get your shirt off…
For more information see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1985019/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
For the making-of see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdmo96Afhc4
Nicole Kidman was also at Sundance to promote her latest film, Stoker, directed by Park Chan-Wook.
A much darker, more serious offering than Austenland, it is a Gothic family drama involving death, incestuous desires, and eyebrows that slope up at the sides. The film starts slowly and builds to a climax which is, for the faint-hearted, mercifully short on gratuitous gore. Probably a must see, especially if you’ve ever secretly yearned to dye your hair jet black.
For more information see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1682180/
For the trailer see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNpDG4WR_74
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 2Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target | euronews, space
- 3Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 4Japanese company brings the beach lifestyle to business | euronews, world news
- 5Earth Overshoot Day arrives earlier as we consume too much | euronews, economy
- 6Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 7#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 8US warns Russia that Ukraine aid delivery would be ‘viewed as an invasion’ | euronews, world news
- 9Renewing your driving licence within the EU | euronews, u talk
- 10Russian aid convoy is ‘direct invasion’ says Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 11Elephants smell better | euronews, science
- 12Wikimedia says taking a selfie is monkey business | euronews, world news
- 13Hundreds of Ukranian troops retreat across border to Russia | euronews, world news
- 14Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower? | euronews, world news
- 15No candidates are likely to thwart Erdogan, says polling analyst | euronews, news
- 16Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights | euronews, world news
- 17Voting in Turkey’s Presidential election underway | euronews, world news
- 18WW1 centenary day ends with ‘Lights Out’ across UK | euronews, world news
- 19Love learning, stop hating! | euronews, generation y
- 20Money talks: divided Lithuania prepares to join the euro | euronews, reporter