The US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said she accepted responsibility for the fatal attack on an American mission in Libya last year, but she defended herself over specific allegations, particularly from John McCain, of a cover-up.
She was testifying to the Senate foreign relations committee. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed in the attack.
“You know, I do feel responsible,” Clinton said, “I feel responsible for nearly 70,000 people who work for the state department. The specific security requests pertaining to Benghazi were handled by the security professionals in the department. I didn’t see those requests. They didn’t come to me. I didn’t approve them, I didn’t deny them. These requests don’t ordinarily come to the Secretary of State.”
Attackers overran the building in Benghazi on September 11 last year.
The committee heard a senior Republican senator claim that the US response to revolutionary events in the middle east showed “woeful unpreparedness”.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 4Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 5Brothers to stand-in for late Fast and Furious star Paul Walker
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 05:20 CET China releases blogger on bail, jails another amid rumour crackdown
- 03:49 CET Dengue outbreak at Australian detention centre sparks fresh…
- 03:00 CET Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry sinking
- 02:43 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika poised to win re-election
- 02:13 CET Obama, Abe to battle negative images at U.S.-Japan summit
- 01:57 CET U.S. calls for more investment-friendly Indian government
- 01:52 CET Graft trial of son of Senegal’s ex-president to start in June
- 01:14 CET Brazil’s leader holds wide lead six months from election – survey