In Israel exit polls suggest the predicted shift to the right has ended in a dead heat.
The centre-left Yasher Atid party has risen to a close second place, giving current Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud-Beiteinu alliance only a narrow win.
At the Likud party HQ celebrations went on into the night, but in Netanyahu’s victory speech he pledged to form a broad coalition in the wake of the unexpected result. His top priorities related to security and preventing Iran from having a nuclear weapon.
Analysts were stunned with the rise of Yasher Atid, formed just 9 months ago under former journalist Yair Lapid, it has defied predictions of a shift to the right. This will mean political horse-trading will ensue when Netayanhu comes to form his cabinet.
Coming in third, the previously popular Labour party have vowed to counter any coalition under Netanyahu.
The biggest upset was for nationalist party Habayit Hayehudi, led by Netanyahu’s former chief-of-staff Naftali Bennett who had been hailed as the rising star of Israeli politics before Yair Lapid stole the show.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 23:12 CET Peres steps down as Israeli president, sees peace ‘one day’
- 23:09 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 22:47 CET U.N. panel tells Japan to compensate ‘comfort women’
- 22:33 CET Special report – Inside Xi Jinping’s purge of China’s oil mandarins
- 22:19 CET At least 15 killed by Israeli shelling of Gaza school; toll…
- 22:16 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 22:11 CET Italy PM Renzi’s reform plans hit resistance in Senate
- 22:01 CET Mali government, northern rebels sign roadmap deal for peace talks