Two planeloads of Russian nationals escaping the conflict in Syria have landed in Moscow. The aircraft left Beirut earlier in the evening on Tuesday.
But this is not the start of a mass evacuation, according to officials. Russia has been President Bashar al-Assad’s staunchest ally during the 22-month uprising against his rule. But an envoy said in December that Assad could be defeated by the rebels, and that Moscow was preparing evacuation plans just in case.
It is claimed footage uploaded to the internet shows government air strikes on the city of Homs.
Aircraft are seen approaching what the narrator says is the Jobar district of the city. Explosions can be heard shortly afterards.
It is claimed other footage shows scenes of destruction and rubble-strewn streets in Hamouriyah, a town nine kilometres from the capital, Damascus.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 4A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 14:49 CET Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 13:57 CET Libyan kidnappers of Tunisian diplomat demand Islamists’ release
- 13:54 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika set for re-election, foes cry fraud
- 13:34 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 13:29 CET Turkish president rules out role swap with Erdogan
- 13:25 CET Indonesia’s ex-general Prabowo edges closer to presidential race
- 13:19 CET Italy government prepares to approve tax cuts
- 12:23 CET At least 12 Nepali guides killed in Everest avalanche