Two planeloads of Russian nationals escaping the conflict in Syria have landed in Moscow. The aircraft left Beirut earlier in the evening on Tuesday.
But this is not the start of a mass evacuation, according to officials. Russia has been President Bashar al-Assad’s staunchest ally during the 22-month uprising against his rule. But an envoy said in December that Assad could be defeated by the rebels, and that Moscow was preparing evacuation plans just in case.
It is claimed footage uploaded to the internet shows government air strikes on the city of Homs.
Aircraft are seen approaching what the narrator says is the Jobar district of the city. Explosions can be heard shortly afterards.
It is claimed other footage shows scenes of destruction and rubble-strewn streets in Hamouriyah, a town nine kilometres from the capital, Damascus.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 01:17 CET Peru’s Humala replaces prime minister amid political scandal
- 00:26 CET Kuwait strips citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
- 00:11 CET Benin detains 10 people in child trafficking probe
- 23:08 CET Insight – Battered by election, Indonesia’s new president faces…
- 22:53 CET Qatar emir meets Saudi king in Jeddah to discuss Gaza fighting
- 22:16 CET Suicide attack escalates Libya violence, oil output slips
- 21:59 CET Homemade explosive goes off at Santiago church, another defused
- 21:23 CET Boko Haram moves unopposed in strategic Nigerian town