Eleven days after the beginning of Operation Serval in Mali, US supply planes have begun arriving in Bamako.
American transport planes have arrived on the runway at Bamako – but French soldiers are getting out. There have been five such flights so far, bringing a total of 140 tonnes of equipment and 80 personnel.
At UN level, Secretary General Ban Ki-moon warned against compromising the organisation’s neutrality.
“Mali is under threat from terrorists with regional and global repercussions. Addressing these challenges requires political, security and humanitarian efforts. At the same time in calibrating the extent of its own involvement, the United Nations has to carefully take into account the human rights, safety and security issues at stake.”
The UN says the humanitarian situation is another worry. Thousands of people have been forced from their homes over the past 10 days as the fighting has increased.
An estimated 230,000 people are now displaced across the country.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 2Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 3Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 4Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 5Turkey: Berkin Elvan, 15, hurt in Istanbul clashes, dies after months in coma
- 1Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 2As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 3Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
- 4Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 5Prayers for a miracle as the fate of missing Malaysia Airlines jet baffles the experts
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 3Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 4Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 5Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
Wires > News
- 15:37 CET Search under way at New York building collapse, trains halted
- 15:36 CET Insight – How the separatists delivered Crimea to Moscow
- 15:30 CET Portugal PM invites Socialists to help plan budget beyond election
- 15:24 CET Exclusive – EU approves framework for asset freezes, travel bans…
- 15:13 CET Algerian police halt opposition march against Bouteflika bid
- 15:04 CET Thousands flock to Turkish boy’s funeral after night of protest
- 14:02 CET Putin says dissatisfied with Russia’s economic growth rate
- 13:47 CET Islamist militants, local men said to kill 22 in Syrian village