Italian Erasmus Students are angry: they won’t be able to vote in the general elections on February 24-25 because of what is seen as a flaw in Italian law. People abroad for short periods (whether for holiday, work, study or any other reason) are not meant to cast their ballot unless they travel back to their home town, with very few exceptions (such as teachers working abroad and soldiers on a mission).
After the EU scolded Italy for what it describes as a ‘discriminatory’ law, Mario Monti’s government tried to find a solution, but in vain.
Is this situation an exception in Europe? Can’t the EU do anything about it?
Karel Bartak, Head of Unit at DG Education and Culture, will answer these and other questions in a special chat, scheduled for next Wednesday, January 30th, at 5pm CET. It’s here, you are all invited!
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 2Japanese company brings the beach lifestyle to business | euronews, world news
- 3Earth Overshoot Day arrives earlier as we consume too much | euronews, economy
- 4Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 5#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 6NATO: ‘Ready to deploy forces’ in response to all security challenges | euronews, world news
- 7Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 8US warns Russia that Ukraine aid delivery would be ‘viewed as an invasion’ | euronews, world news
- 9Renewing your driving licence within the EU | euronews, u talk
- 10Russian aid convoy is ‘direct invasion’ says Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 11Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target | euronews, space
- 12Elephants smell better | euronews, science
- 13At least 6 confirmed dead in Paris apartment blast | euronews, world news
- 14Wikimedia says taking a selfie is monkey business | euronews, world news
- 15Hundreds of Ukranian troops retreat across border to Russia | euronews, world news
- 16No candidates are likely to thwart Erdogan, says polling analyst | euronews, news
- 17Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights | euronews, world news
- 18Voting in Turkey’s Presidential election underway | euronews, world news
- 19Sephardic Jews eye return to Spain | euronews, reporter
- 20WW1 centenary day ends with ‘Lights Out’ across UK | euronews, world news