Reports from Mali suggest the rebel group, Ansar Dine, has split with one faction seeking negotiations to bring an end to the conflict.
The new group under the banner of the Islamic Movement of the Azawad said that it would be willing to take up arms against Ansar Dine.
As the conflict continues the Malian army has been accused of carrying out a “series summary executions.”
The International Federation for Human Rights say people have been killed for not having ID papers.
The Malian army is made up of mainly black Africans from the south of the country. The rights group say that Arabs and ethnic Tuaregs from the north have been singled out and shot.
The Malian army denies any such abuses.
As the violence continues more and more people are fleeing the violence.
According to the UN 7,000 people have left for neighbouring countries.
Former colonial power France intervened at the request of the Malian government and have helped drive out rebels from three towns.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 23:13 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 15, injures 243 – local media
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:56 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage
- 19:08 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militias use hit lists to pick off foes – police