North Korea has announced it plans for a third nuclear rocket test. The statement gave no time frame for the experiment.
Pyongyang said the tests are “aimed at our arch-enemy, the United States.” The news comes 48 hours after the UN Security Council attacked North Korea’s December rocket launch and will further strain relations between North and South Korea.
Glyn Davies, the US Special Representative for North Korean policy, said:
“Further provocations are not going to help the process forward. They would only retard it, make it much more difficult for us to engage. It’s very important – I stressed this in my statement in the beginning – very important that North-South relations improve”.
South Korea said it deeply regretted the decision and urged its neighbour not to go ahead. The nuclear test will be the first under Kim Jong-un who has led the country since his father, Kim Jong-Il died in December 2011.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state
- 00:19 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 23:39 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 22:40 CET Avalanche kills at least 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status