North Korea has announced it plans for a third nuclear rocket test. The statement gave no time frame for the experiment.
Pyongyang said the tests are “aimed at our arch-enemy, the United States.” The news comes 48 hours after the UN Security Council attacked North Korea’s December rocket launch and will further strain relations between North and South Korea.
Glyn Davies, the US Special Representative for North Korean policy, said:
“Further provocations are not going to help the process forward. They would only retard it, make it much more difficult for us to engage. It’s very important – I stressed this in my statement in the beginning – very important that North-South relations improve”.
South Korea said it deeply regretted the decision and urged its neighbour not to go ahead. The nuclear test will be the first under Kim Jong-un who has led the country since his father, Kim Jong-Il died in December 2011.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 3Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 4Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 5Ukraine police on alert as violence erupts at pro-Russia demo
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 19:29 CET South Africa, Rwanda expel diplomats in row over Rwandan exiles
- 18:49 CET Zimbabwe’s opposition suspends official who asked leader to quit
- 18:21 CET Turkish president rejects Facebook, YouTube ban over wiretaps
- 18:17 CET Conflicting accounts open U.S. Army general’s sex crimes trial
- 17:41 CET Insight – In Ukraine, nationalists gain influence — and scrutiny
- 17:30 CET Saudi Arabia designates Muslim Brotherhood terrorist group
- 17:27 CET U.S. Senate rejects a bid to overhaul how military handles sexual…
- 17:07 CET France hints at aero, nuclear deals during Xi visit