“Mursi, get out!” shout the demonstrators as they hold up empty teargas canisters and spent ammunition – the debris from running battles with police the night before.
It is the anniversary of the uprising that ousted Hosni Mubarak from decades in power. But his successor is just as unpopular.
President Mursi is facing calls for the demands of the revolution to be realised.
Wael Ibrahim, one of the demonstrators, told euronews: “We went down into the streets to cast our votes, but we made a mistake and a bad choice. Our revolution isn’t about destruction. The revolution will make Egypt and its generations happy. Our demands are: dignity, humanity and a proper salary, we don’t need to live in villas.”
Mursi’s opponents claim that the Muslim Brotherhood – which propelled his rise to power – has betrayed them.
The Arab Spring brought hope to many Egyptians. But for just as many others, real change and democracy are still tantalisingly out of reach.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 2Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 3Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 4Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 5Interpol highlights threat from terrorists using stolen passports
- 1Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 2As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 3Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
- 4Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 5Prayers for a miracle as the fate of missing Malaysia Airlines jet baffles the experts
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 3Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 4Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 5Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
Wires > News
- 10:42 CET Assad visits displaced Syrians outside Damascus – TV
- 10:41 CET Sudanese police fire tear gas at funeral for slain student
- 10:38 CET Manila air drops supplies to troops on disputed shoal
- 10:33 CET South Korea says seeks Patriot missiles upgrade deal by December
- 10:11 CET Saudi listing of Brotherhood as terrorist group complicates Gulf…
- 10:04 CET Ultra-Orthodox mayor wins vote in Israeli town torn by religion
- 09:56 CET Mourners gather for Turkish boy’s funeral after night of protest
- 09:45 CET Once-genteel Caracas plaza is ground zero for protests