The Syrian army has intensified its offensive on Sunni strongholds and opposition forces are fighting fire with fire.
Amateur footage posted online shows violent clashes in and around the central city of Homs, with activists reporting aerial bombing and artillery fire.
They also say that 15,000 Sunni civilians are trapped in the outskirts, after President Bashar al-Assad’s forces attempted to close off the city.
Another video uploaded to the Internet purports to show Syrian army tanks being blown up on the streets of Daraya, south west of the capital Damascus.
Thousands of people are fleeing the battle-torn country every day.
The United Nations says the number of Syrian refugees registered in neighbouring countries is nearly 700,000, with the actual number much higher.
The UN has commended Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon for keeing their borders open and urged them to continue.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 3Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 4War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 5Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 16:07 CET Chemical weapons watchdog weighs chlorine attack probe in Syria -…
- 15:41 CET Jeddah residents jittery over spread of deadly MERS virus
- 15:20 CET Thousands mob India’s Modi as election race starts in sacred city
- 14:47 CET Leader of Mali coup charged with conspiracy to murder after bodies…
- 14:33 CET Embattled South Sudan president replaces army chief
- 14:24 CET Anti-graft group accuses EU of complacency on corruption
- 14:02 CET Egypt’s army says has ‘complete control’ over Sinai Peninsula
- 13:52 CET U.S. vows to help Libya tackle ‘rising violent extremism’