At least 22 people have been killed in clashes with police in Port Said in Egypt.
The violence follows a decision by an Egyptian court to sentence 21 football fans to death for their part in riots last February which killed 74 people.
Another 52 fans who have been charged will find out their fate in March.
Egypt’s worst-ever football disaster happened after a game at Port Said stadium between local side al-Masry and Cairo’s al-Ahly.
Al-Masry fans invaded the pitch, throwing stones and fireworks. Spectators were trampled to death as panicked crowds tried to flee the stadium.
The judge’s ruling caused anger in Port Said, where the accused men come from. Supporters clashed with police outside the prison where the men are being held, leading to the deaths of at least 22 people.
In Cairo, there were celebrations at the death sentences. Al-Ahly football fans and families of those killed had threatened more violence if the punishments did not satisfy them.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 00:15 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 15, injures 243 – local media
- 00:01 CET Iraqi Kurds, battling Islamist threat, press Washington for arms
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage