At least 22 people have been killed in clashes with police in Port Said in Egypt.
The violence follows a decision by an Egyptian court to sentence 21 football fans to death for their part in riots last February which killed 74 people.
Another 52 fans who have been charged will find out their fate in March.
Egypt’s worst-ever football disaster happened after a game at Port Said stadium between local side al-Masry and Cairo’s al-Ahly.
Al-Masry fans invaded the pitch, throwing stones and fireworks. Spectators were trampled to death as panicked crowds tried to flee the stadium.
The judge’s ruling caused anger in Port Said, where the accused men come from. Supporters clashed with police outside the prison where the men are being held, leading to the deaths of at least 22 people.
In Cairo, there were celebrations at the death sentences. Al-Ahly football fans and families of those killed had threatened more violence if the punishments did not satisfy them.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 21:21 CET Two killed by bomb inside Bahrain car – ministry
- 21:16 CET High stakes as restive Benghazi votes in Libyan local polls
- 20:49 CET Man under evaluation for alleged gun threat at L.A. Times building
- 19:13 CET Italy gives wife, daughter of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 19:04 CET Egyptian court jails Muslim Brotherhood leader for insulting…
- 17:05 CET Strong 7.5 magnitude quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- 17:05 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 17:04 CET New militant group claims responsibility for Friday blast in Cairo