An estimated 70,000 people have been displaced by severe floods in Mozambique, according to the United Nations.
Severe rains have caused dangerously high sea levels along large parts of the southern African coastline
over the past few days.
The worst hit area is Gaza province where the town of Chokwe has been completely submerged. Water levels in the area have risen further due to floodwater
surging down the Limpopo river.
Reports say UN aid has yet to reach tens of thousands of people.
“We don’t have any help. No food, no tents. We’re
sleeping outside. So we’re appealing for food and shelter,” said one man.
In total, 36 people have been killed in Mozambique. Several more have died in South Africa.
The UN predicts more than 100,000 people could be made temporarily homeless if water levels continue to rise.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 18:06 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 17:51 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika wins election with 81.53 percent – official…
- 17:10 CET Bahraini man dies two months after being shot by police – family
- 17:05 CET Poles most worried about their independence in at least 23 years -…
- 16:35 CET Turkish president rules out role swap with Erdogan
- 16:24 CET Bomb blast kills 14 at mosque in Syria’s Homs – state TV
- 16:00 CET Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 15:59 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row