A mother and child have been rescued as flooding continues to wreak havoc across Australia.
The pair became trapped in fast-rising waters in Bundaberg in the state of Queensland, but emergency workers managed to airlift them to safety.
Such dramatic incidents have been regularly repeated with heavy rain, strong winds and tornadoes hitting the region.
In a separate incident, rescuers also freed a man
who was trapped in drain in Hervey Bay.
More than 1,000 people have been forced to flee their homes as the wild weather from former cyclone Oswald continues to cause widespread damage.
Nearly 60,000 houses are without electricity. Some entire towns are completed cut-off. Now experts say the bad weather is heading south and is due to hit Sydney on Monday.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 21:00 CET Suicide bomb kills at least four at army base in Benghazi -…
- 20:21 CET Qatar emir arrives in Jeddah to meet Saudi king – Al Jazeera TV
- 19:42 CET Boko Haram virtually controls Nigerian town, villages – witnesses
- 18:53 CET U.S. airlines halt flights to Israel due to instability
- 18:46 CET Indonesian president-elect Jokowi calls for unity after bitter…
- 18:26 CET Central African Republic rebels demand partition in Brazzaville…
- 18:15 CET IAEA worried about slow progress in Iran nuclear probe- sources
- 18:01 CET Russia may ask rich to help foot bill for Crimea with ‘solidarity…