French-led troops in Mali have secured the airport in the northern town of Gao.
The French Defence Ministry confirmed that an important bridge has also been taken by the French although fighting continues in the town.
Gao had been a stronghold of Islamist fighters after it was seized last April.
The Mayor of Gao, Sadou Diallo, who had been forced to flee has now returned. He praised the work of French troops: “I feel as if I’ve just fallen from the sky back home, thanks to God and thanks to France.” He added “I want to thank the French president who answered the call of my president.”
There has also been fighting in the central town of Konna. The Mayor of Konna confirmed that at least 11 civilians had been killed during French airstrikes to drive out militants.
Meanwhile around 100 Chadian vehicles carrying troops are heading towards the border with Mali. They will join French and African forces already fighting al Qaeda-allied fighters in the country’s north.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 2Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support to Putin on Ukraine
- 4[Live updates] Moscow says EU sanctions “will not be left without response”
- 5Watch: Femen protesters held after topless protest in Crimea
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 15:01 CET Latin American presidents to discuss Venezuela unrest, Ecuador says
- 14:59 CET Kerry in Jordan for talks on Middle East peace
- 14:58 CET Saudi Arabia designates Muslim Brotherhood as terrorist group-…
- 14:42 CET Two South African policemen suspended over video-recorded assault
- 14:05 CET Congo warlord’s conviction brings relief to international court
- 13:16 CET Malaysia’s Anwar convicted of sodomy, political future in doubt
- 13:04 CET Trial begins for U.S. Army general accused of sex crimes
- 12:36 CET Iran says nuclear talks with powers ‘substantive and useful’