Thousands of protesters braved the bitterly cold Washington weather on Saturday as part of a campaign against gun crime.
Some held signs calling for assault-weapons to be banned as they marched through the US capital.
The rally was led by Washington Mayor Vincent Gray who called on Congress to act swiftly to pass stricter laws on firearms.
“We got to get these assault weapons out of our streets and our society. We got to have universal background checks, and we have got to recognise that we can’t have guns in the hands of people who are psychotic.”
About 100 residents of Newtown were also there. The Connecticut town saw last year’s biggest mass shooting when 20 children and six adults were gunned-down by a lone killer at an elementary school.
The protest, which came a week after nationwide rallies by gun-rights supporters, was even backed by Hollywood actress Kathleen Turner.
“The public is now, at this moment, very active, very aware and we have to push it through to the point of legislation,” she said.
Reporting from Washington DC, euronews’ correspondent Stefan Grobe said: “Anti-gun America has spoken with force, and the Obama administration is determined to jolt the nation into action. But whether all this will resonate with Congress remains in doubt.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Mali: no survivors found in wreckage of Algerian flight
- 3‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 4Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 5Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 08:50 CET Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800
- 08:46 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland
- 07:49 CET Rise of Islamic State tests Syrian army strategy
- 07:40 CET Indonesia’s constitutional court ready to take on election result…
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.