Former Israeli leader Ariel Sharon, who has been in a coma for seven years following a stroke, has surprised doctors by showing significant signs of brain activity.
The team at Israel’s Soroka Medical Centre say their machines detected some brain function when he was shown photos of his family and asked to imagine his home.
Neurologist Alon Friedman said the results show that he could in some way be “listening”:
“We cannot project anything, the point is that for his family and for the treating team we now know that he can take information and process it and even, perhaps, he is.. at some level he was conscious and this is very important for the family,” Friedman said.
The Soroka team say the test results are a potential breakthrough in coma research, but stress that the chances of 84-year Sharon getting out of bed are very slim.
A hard-line right winger for most of his career, Sharon was Israeli prime minister from 2001 until his 2006 stroke.
In 2005 he made a political about-face, withdrawing Israeli troops from Gaza in the hope of advancing peace with the Palestinians.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 21:16 CET High stakes as restive Benghazi votes in Libyan local polls
- 20:49 CET Man under evaluation for alleged gun threat at L.A. Times building
- 19:13 CET Italy gives wife, daughter of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 19:04 CET Egyptian court jails Muslim Brotherhood leader for insulting…
- 17:05 CET Strong 7.5 magnitude quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- 17:05 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 17:04 CET New militant group claims responsibility for Friday blast in Cairo
- 17:00 CET Two killed in Bahrain car explosion