Former Israeli leader Ariel Sharon, who has been in a coma for seven years following a stroke, has surprised doctors by showing significant signs of brain activity.
The team at Israel’s Soroka Medical Centre say their machines detected some brain function when he was shown photos of his family and asked to imagine his home.
Neurologist Alon Friedman said the results show that he could in some way be “listening”:
“We cannot project anything, the point is that for his family and for the treating team we now know that he can take information and process it and even, perhaps, he is.. at some level he was conscious and this is very important for the family,” Friedman said.
The Soroka team say the test results are a potential breakthrough in coma research, but stress that the chances of 84-year Sharon getting out of bed are very slim.
A hard-line right winger for most of his career, Sharon was Israeli prime minister from 2001 until his 2006 stroke.
In 2005 he made a political about-face, withdrawing Israeli troops from Gaza in the hope of advancing peace with the Palestinians.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan kills dozens
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Official photos capture Prince George’s first birthday
- 5First of flight MH17 victims’ remains arrive in the Netherlands
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved
- 19:05 CET Bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari targeted
- 18:12 CET Lebanese soldier defects to al Qaeda in Syria – video
- 17:42 CET Yemen president says Houthis agree to return town to state control
- 17:38 CET Seleka to sign ceasefire, drops call for Central African Republic…
- 17:10 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- 17:05 CET Islamists gun down Somali protest singer-turned-lawmaker
- 16:59 CET Second bomb in Nigeria’s Kaduna kills 50 – Red Cross worker