Relatives and friends have gathered at a school gym-turned-makeshift-morgue to mourn the victims of a nightclub fire in southern Brazil.
It is thought stage fireworks set off a blaze inside the Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria.
Those inside, the majority of them young people, died from asphyxiation or from being trampled.
Latest reports suggest at least 230 have been killed. Those who survived managed to find the emergency exits.
“You never think this will happen to anyone you know,” said one man. “I have seen friends being buried today. I saw two brothers being buried and I have just found out that another one of my friends is among those who died.”
Another man spoke of the sadness of losing his son. “My son was full of life,” he told reporters, “and full of health at 27 years old.”
Footage captured on mobile phones inside the nightclub showed massive confusion and panic.
More than 100 people are being treated in hospital after breathing in smoke.
The first funerals will be held today. President Dilma Roussef has cut short a visit to Chile to return to Brazil to visit relatives of the victims and survivors.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of children
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 05:15 CET Disappointment, uncertainty after India blocks WTO trade deal
- 03:57 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 22, injures 270, shoots flames high into…
- 02:42 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in…
- 02:07 CET For wandering tankers with $300 million of Kurdish crude, end-game…
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 00:01 CET Iraqi Kurds, battling Islamist threat, press Washington for arms
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route