Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has announced plans to step aside in favour of her son.
During a televised address to the nations she said: “I am not abdicating because the position was too hard on me. But because of my belief that the responsibility of this country has to be in the hands of a new generation.”
“With complete trust I will transfer the throne to my son, the Prince of Orange. He and Princess Maxima are fully prepared for their future task,” she added.
Prince Willem-Alexander is due to be crowned on 30 April.
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte made a statement shortly after the Queen’s announcement: “I want to give my respect and admiration for Queen Beatrix’s outstanding services both in and for our country. From the moment she was crowned in 1980 she has given her heart and soul.”
Beatrix assumed the throne after her mother, Queen Juliana, abdicated in her favour 33 years ago.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 20:27 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika poised to win re-election
- 20:15 CET French troops free five aid workers kidnapped in Mali
- 20:05 CET Guantanamo hearing halted after defence accusations of FBI spying
- 20:03 CET U.S. releases $450 million of frozen Iranian funds after …
- 19:55 CET Kosovo PM urges vote on new war crimes court but calls it insult
- 19:51 CET Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- 19:41 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 19:05 CET Church must be open to sick, homeless, pope says on Holy Thursday