Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi has declared a state of emergency in three cities along the Suez Canal.
In a televised address, Morsi ordered a nightly curfew in Port Said, Ismailia and Suez, starting on Monday evening.
Cairo, meanwhile, has endured its fourth day of clashes on the streets. Protesters and police confronted each other near Tahrir Square, the crucible of the 2011 uprising.
Tear gas was fired and demonstrators responded by throwing rocks. They are angry at what they see as a power-grab by orthodox muslim politicians.
“We want President Morsi to be removed” cried one protester, “and we would like to cleanse the Interior Ministry and the government. We got rid of Mubarak and so we will be able to get rid of Morsi.”
According to state television, seven people were shot dead and hundreds were injured here in Port Said during the funerals of 33 protesters killed at the weekend.
At least 49 have died across the country.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 4Israeli bombing in Gaza intensifies as Palestinian death toll mounts
- 5MH17 victims to be taken to the Netherlands – Ukraine Deputy PM
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Journey to ‘the end of the Earth’ finds giant crater
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 10:54 CET Korea ferry businessman’s body found next to book, alcohol bottles
- 10:24 CET Indonesia’s likely loser in presidential race tries to delay result
- 10:01 CET Dozens of Turkish police detained over wiretapping – CNN Turk
- 09:45 CET Insight – Islamic State crushes and coerces on march towards…
- 09:34 CET Insight – Wave of migrant children threatens to swamp …
- 09:13 CET India to investigate corruption in healthcare after TV sting…
- 09:03 CET China’s secretive military cracks open door for glimpse inside
- 08:41 CET Two Turkish soldiers killed in clash with suspected smugglers near…